Friday 8 February 2013

INTERVIEW - Meet Sleeve Of Hearts


'Write awesome songs and violate society's eardrums until their ears bleed '

Meet Sleeve Of Hearts , 22 old Londoner Benjamin Lee. I featured him last month as the first unsigned act on The Playlist. As he released his debut single Bitter Pill on iTunes this week , I caught up with him to talk  about the new single , hopes and inspirations and embarrassing VIP encounters with Good Charlotte.

Benjamin Lee aka Sleeve Of Hearts , is a London born singer/songwriter , with a voice that could sell a milliion records and a face that could break a million hearts. As yet , still unsigned , Sleeve of Hearts released his debut single , the beautiful Bitter Pill on iTunes this week. His voice resonates with regret and yearning and is an exciting debut
With Bitter Pill , I was really just expressing my frustration with myself. How it feels like I'm always screwing things up one way or another. The songs really about what you want in life , leaving the past behind you and moving onto bigger and better things.

Bigger and better things will surely await the young Mr Lee. Gabrielle Aplin has already invited him to write a  song with her and Ben has big plans for 2013
I really wanna play as many shows as possible and build my fan base up. I'm working on my debut EP. I wanna earn my stripes as a singer/songwriter up with the best of them


Sleeve of Hearts is certainly earning his stripes , frequently  taking to the streets of London to busk 
I am always really surprised  how many people seem to enjoy my music. It's a good platform to practice and play new material in front of hundreds of different people. Very good confidence builder.
It's hard not to see Benjamin Lee , going from busking to hundreds to playing to thousands , carving the same path to stardom that's seen the Ed Sheerans , Ben Howards and James Blakes of this world sell out arenas and garner critical and commercial success.
Ben's current listening and musical influences cover the sometimes obscure but ultimately sublime

Jamie Woon's album has been on repeat nearly every train journey I've been on recently. I also really like a band called Periphery. They have some mental guitar solo's going on , love it.
As for songwriting heroes and influences , Aaaron Lewis from Staind , Luke Pickett , Anais Mitchell , Foy Vance , John Mayer , Tracy Chapman , Justin Nozuka , and Dallas Green. Somgwriting gold.


The North London lad may be a mere 22 years of age but has been honing his craft since his pre-teens

My dad bought me my first guitar when I was 10 , and just watched people on TV and tried to copy what they were doing. It was only when I hit 15 , that I started taking things seriously and formed a band with friends. I started singing and writing songs around the age of 17 after my first real break up. A lot of my songs refer to that time


With his achingly beautiful voice , babyfaced indie boy looks and a set of amazing rose tattoos on his left arm , you would think that Sleeve of Hearts was more a king of hearts , leaving a trail of hearbreak in his wake, However , this is not the case he assures me

It's usually me that get's their heart broken. I took my name from the saying "Wearing your heart on your sleeve" , as my music is very upfront and honest so I thought it was very apt.

Apt indeed. Sleeve of Hearts is exactly that. A singer/songwriter that does indeed wear his heart on his sleeve. Listen to any of his music online , and you are privy to gorgeous confessionals , lyrically sombre but uplifting. And all heightened and elevated by that crisp , flawless voice. A voice that will ultimately set him apart from his peers in that genre. There's a comfort , warmth and maturity to his voice that belies his 22 years. And a depth to his songwriting that is as impressive as it is inspiring. He may claim to always be the one that gets his heart broken , but its nothing a good bowl of SuperNoodles wont solve. His many Twitter followers will attest to his love of hem. Heck , when I eventually see Sleeve of Hearts live , I may indeed , bring along a packet.

But Sleeve of Hearts does have a cheeky side to him as he discussed one of his most memorable festival moments , that saw rock n roll bravado lead to utter mortification

I had a VIP pass to Sonisphere Festival. They have to drive you in a golf caddy around the VIP section. I hopped on the back feeling like a pro. As the caddy stopped , I fell off the back of it. I just remember looking up to , 2 members of Good Charlotte staring and laughing at me. That was pretty embarrasiing.
Also , one other time at a festival , I remember trying to get the crowd to sing a line back to me , but they were just completely silent. I died inside for a moment. Serious tumble
weed moment



Sleeve of Hearts ambitions and hopes for the future are simple yet imspired. His mission statement for what should be a blossoming career ahead
Write awesome songs and violate society's eardrums until the ignorance blleeds out of them


Sounds like a plan. I'm certainly in. And you will be too. Sleeve of Hearts debut single Bitter Pill is available to download on iTunes right now. Buy it , cherish it , and embrace it. Cos this Bitter Pill goes down a storm

Watch the video for Sleeve of Hearts Bitter Pill below; Follow on Twitter @SleeveOfHearts

No comments:

Post a Comment