Monday 25 March 2013

INTERVIEW -Christianoshi



"I'm an adventurer and can be feral at times ..which doesn't leave me dry for material "
Eclectic electropop wunderkind Christianoshi was featured on here last month and described as the musical lovechild of Robyn and Dave Gahan , Neil Tennant , Andy Bell and Marc Almond. 
I caught up with the flamboyant feral London lad to chat music , performing and why listening to Jessie J is bad for the soul.


Christianoshi was a welcome addition to my eardrums earlier this year when I stumbled across his fantastic single Trust. A purveyor of the finest elecropop that pulsates and calls for dancefloor trysts and euphoria , Christianoshi is a worthy investment of your musical time. Indeed Trust created some blog buzz when released digitally

Sonically , it was my first attempt at being Prince. My co-producer steered it in more of a synthpop direction and probably saved it from the scrapheap in doing so if I'm honest. Lyrically , it's a vanilla tale about going steady and getting ready for some responsible bareback action.

Christianoshi is deliciously honest as you can tell.  At present , he is hard at work on what should be a thrilling debut album that'll surely soundtrack many a hedonistic , euphoric night.

I'm looking forward to having a cohesive body of work to guide people to. The track listing isn't quite complete and my creative flow has recently gone into overdrive, which is making it harder to determine.
As for themes, I'm surprised at the amount of songs about falling in love , written when I was doing just that. I usually draw a creative blank in that situation. So , of course , there is  also stuff inspired by unhappier times. 
But no song is without its confidence -even a devastating line like " you dont wanna fuck me anymore " , sounds bold thanks to the bouncy production on "Fuck Me. My biggest hope is that I get the the as-yet-untitled album finished in time for the summer release I've set.

It;s an album I'm really looking forward to. And the song Fuck Me , is well worth checking out online via Soundcloud. Appearances can be deceptive and behind the apparent disco charm of his music , there is vulnerability in spades. Not melancholia , but vulnerability. Of the sort we can all relate to. 

There's a great amount of autobiography in my music but I'm not averse to making stuff up. I'm an adventurer and can be feral at times, which doesn't leave me dry for material , that's for sure.

It certainly doesn't. And I get the impression , this forthcoming debut opus will be a raucous , riotous document of a wild night out under discoballs , whilst under the inflluence. But with an undercurrent of romance , mischief and the vulnerability that comes with sobering up as the sun comes up. Dreaming and thinking of love , whether it be unrequited or not. Real music of the night.

Christianoshi has performed on the London toilet circuit and has played  The Social and Royal Vauxhall Tavern.

It's been about two years since I first performed as a solo artist and in the interest of keeping things exciting for the audience , I haven't done it too often. There also isn't a great deal of venues supporting new pop music and I often stick out like a sore thumb on the toilet circuit among indie bands on the same bill. While it's been great for getting experience , it's not been so conducive to connecting with a wider audience unfortunately.

My first live performance at a club in East London, I was really thrown in at the deep end. Without a clue as to what I was doing , popping beta blockers as I soberly waited to go on at 3am. Falling into the arms of my friends at the end of the set was one of my most amazing feelings ever.

It's no great surprise that one of Christianoshi's favourite live performers is the legendary Freddie Mercury. Another performer not known for sitting in the corner , quietly sipping a glass of wine.

My ultimate live heroes would be Freddie Mercury and Kylie , but they are big league entertainers who have long embraced their vulnerability in such a situation. While Frank Ocean's artistry embodies fearlessness to me , his performing seems more modest , though no less captivating as a result. So I'm probably channeling him on stage more than the other  two.

I couldn't think of a better current performer to channel. With Christianoshi , to these ears , essentially being a pop artist  , how apt that pops ultimate hitmakers Xenomania should top his list of songwriters.

Xenomania is a genius songwriting team which inspires me to stretch myself creatively. Theres a huge difference between them and those commercially driven songwriting camps employed for the likes of Rihanna. They realise theres a science and a magic to it. They've definitely influenced songs like "Fake Blood"  "Trust " and "Fool", which replace the traditional repeated chorus outro with an entirely new structure.



So with Girls Aloud recently splitting and One Direction dominating the charts , what does Christianoshi make of the current state of pop music.

Is it the fall before another rise ? I'm not sure because things have been stale and boring for so long now, you kind of expect the good stuff will remain underground. I think Little Boots is proving that being dropped by your label is no detriment to continue doing what you love and she probably has the fan base to still make something of a living from it.
You'd have to go back a few years before I could name a Number 1 single, which is probably to the detriment of an artist aiming for success. But listening to Jessie J can only be bad for the soul.

Dont expect a collaboration between Christianoshi and the newly bald pop screecher anytime soon. But who would Christian like to get in the studio in.

It took me a while to get my head around all the 1980's comparisons my music has received because it wasn't intentional. It does make sense though as I consider that to be the halcyon decade , in most  cultural aspects actually.
Someone like Ed DMX would be ideal to collaborate with for the remainder of the album as his devotion to 80's electro seems apparent today as it did in the late 90's. i went to his Fresh Up night last weekend in the hope of seducing him but couldn't find him.

It would be hard not to be seduced by Christianoshi. Both his look , voice , and indeed music is made for that wider pop audience. Away from the underground , no one should be immune to the musical charms of Christianoshi.



I would implore you all dear readers to seek out Trust and Fool on iTunes , download it and enjoy a beautifully , glorious electro pop ride. This is vital pop , that is needed in this new post-Aloud world we live in.
Colourful , cutely brash , hedonistic electropop with that gorgeous undercurrent of vulnerability. Christianoshi is one to electrify your iPod and very well melt your heart at 4am in the morning. Await his debut album later this summer with intrigue and salivation.

Links

@christianoshi

soundcloud.com/christianoshi

facebook.com/christianoshi

Watch the audio video for Christianoshi's Trust below


No comments:

Post a Comment